Hough Ear Institute
Director of Development Position Description
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Hough Ear Institute’s fundraising including, the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with The Executive Director and the Board of Directors in all development and fund-raising endeavors.
- Must embrace the mission of Hough Ear Institute
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills
- Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability
- A bachelor’s degree
- 3 years minimum experience in professional fundraising
ACTUAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements
- Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives
- Coordinate fund raising special events
- Oversee prospect research
- Work closely with Dr. Richard Kopke, CEO, and Board of Directors.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the Hough Ear Institute with the community
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems
- Supervise and collaborate with other development staff
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities
- Maintain gift recognition programs
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times
- Perform other related duties as requested
Competitive/commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
E-mail resume to Dr. Richard Kopke at Hough Ear Institute: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call 405-639-2875 for information.